The Church of the Transfiguration
Church Wardens Betty Made and Ian Currie
Sandra Milner tel 01273 843272
For more information about Pyecombe visit Pyecombe village site
Introduction to the Church
The Church of the Transfiguration in Pyecombe lies at the heart of this small village as well as on many ancient drovers and pilgrim paths, including today the South Downs Way National Trail.
It has been known for many years as‘The Shepherds’ Church’. Built in 1170 and given to the then powerful Lewes Priory, the church has many features of interest for the visitor – displayed on information boards at the back of the Church. These include the rare lead font, and a tapsel gate in the churchyard. The Church also offers a tranquil space for those seeking peace in our busy world.
Throughout its long history, the Church has offered refreshment to travellers.
The recent addition of a toilet and kitchen enable us to continue this proud tradition in practical ways.
To learn more about our Church, please see the Church history page